Working in The United States As A Canadian Citizen

Every year, countless Canadian citizens move to the United States temporarily to work for United States employers. However, in order to do so they must apply for a United States work visa and they must be approved for one before they can start working and earning income in the United States. Work in the United States as a Canadian citizen

There isn’t just one type of United States work visa – there are many categories of visas and individual types of work visas. They all serve a different purpose, are for different situations and have different requirements. For instance, there is the TN visa, which is a favourite among Canadians and is actually only for Canadian citizens. This visa is only for specific jobs, like lawyers, doctors or scientists and the applicant must already have a job offer. There are also H1B and H2B work visas, which are specialty occupation visas. Jobs that qualify for these visas do not need as high of a level of education as the TN visa, but they still have strict requirements.

And there are even visas that apply to specific working situations. For example, if you are a Canadian citizen who works for a Canadian company but they are transferring you to a United States branch or location, the L-1 work visa would apply. Or, you could invest in the United States and work there using an E-2 work visa.

What United States work visa should I apply for?

While it almost seems like there’s a United States visa for everyone, that’s simply not the case. However, there are plenty to choose from. What’s important to keep in mind is that the applications are difficult and if you don’t get it right on the first try, a refused application could have an effect on subsequent applications.

Get it right the first time, and don’t leave such an important immigration application up to chance. We are a licensed immigration law firm that has helped countless Canadians work in the US, and we can help you too. Contact us today!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.