Obtaining Permanent Residence and a Green Card

Immigrating to the US can offer amazing opportunities but also involves many obstacles. Something as seemingly trivial as an imprpoerly filled out document can severely impact you chances of acceptance. Putting a halt on your plans before they had a chance to formulate. Contacting an experienced immigration lawyer to help guide the way, may be an ideal option to explore.

Niren and Associates has over 30 years combined experience in assisting foreigners with their Green Card pursuits.  With a proven track record for getting results, we guide each applicant through the process, helping individuals and families with their unique immigration needs to become US permanent residents.

Knowing You Options for  US Permanent Residency

There are different avenues towards obtaining a Green Card.  Each has its own requirements and steps, and you need to determine which option suits you best.

Family Based Petitions or Family Sponsorships

Depending on your situation, you may be eligible to apply for a US Green Card using a Family based Petition for having relatives living in the US as US Citizens or Green Card holders. Certain family members may be eligible to sponsor or petition you for a Green Card.

Spousal Sponsorship Petitions I-130

If you are married to a US Citizen or a Green Card holder, your spouse may be eligible to sponsor you by filing an I-130 Petition. However, your spouse must earn an income that is equivalent to at least 125% above the poverty line. If this is not the case, your spouse will have to have a co-sponsor or co-signer complete an I-864 application form. Of course it is more complicated than this. Further, if your spouse is not a US Citizen and only a Green Card holder or a US Permanent Resident, then the application can take much longer, usually a number of years to process.

Application Procedures for US Citizen Spouses

1. The Consular Processing application where the foreign spouse usually remains outside the US while the application is in process and the application is forwarded to that spouse’s local US Consulate.

2. The Adjustment of Status (AOS) process. This process is for applicants who are already in the US usually as visitors, workers or students and who marry a US Citizen and want to remain in the US while their Spousal Petition is in process. This application involves filing an AOS application (Form I-485) along with the other applications such as the I-130 and I-864. The application is usually filed the local district office in the state you live in.

Note: If you file an AOS application you cannot leave the US until the application has been approved unless you also file an I-131 application for Application for Advance Parole with the other AOS documents.

Employment-Based Petitions for a Green Card

You may have a US employer who is willing to petition you for US Permanent Residence. In this case, most applicants are usually already in the US on a valid US Work Visa such as an L1 Visa or an H-1B Visa. These Green Card applications are called Employment Based Petitions and usually involve filing an I-140 application to the Service Centre located in the jurisdiction of the place of employment.

Your Next Step and How We May Help

Applying for a Green Card without professional assistance is very risky.  Since there are many specific details that need to be fulfilled, such as proper documentation or application sections, the success of your case depends on your awareness of the requirements.  Often, it is not clear what needs to be done, and if you accidentally omit information or submit immigration material incorrectly, your application may be delayed or denied.

Gaining a Green Card may open doors to privileges otherwise inaccessible to you. However, not thoroughly going through the application process may prevent your chances of bringing your dreams to reality. Niren and Associates have successfully helped many in starting a new life for themselves and are confident that we will be able to effective assess your situation.

The immigration official certainly appreciated the documentation planning and said I will be perfectly qualified to submit an application for a Green Card. Not surprisingly, he inquired about about my degree, but I responded precisely with what you explained to do.Jesse L.

Contact our experienced Vancouver immigration attorneys for help with your US permanent residence case today