The L-1 Visa For Employees Being Transferred to the U.S.

The L-1 Work visa is a United States work visa designed for bringing employees or businesses to the United States from foreign countries or foreign businesses. For example, a Canadian company with an office in the United States who wants to transfer an employee to their United States office would be a perfect situation for the L-1 Visa.

However, like any United States work visa the L-1 Work Visa is not an easy one to obtain. There are a number of requirements that must be met first. L-1 Visa for the United States

Requirements for the L-1 Work Visa

If you are an employee being transferred to the United States and want to apply for an L-1 Work Visa, you need to have been working at the foreign company for at least one full-time, continuous year within the last three years.

The relation of the foreign company to the United States company is also important. For example, you must be able to demonstrate that the United States office is a subsidiary, branch, parent company or affiliate of the foreign company.

You must also work in a certain position at this company to qualify for the visa. For example, if you are in a specialized knowledge position, you can be eligible for an L-1B work visa. If you are an executive or manager within the company, you would apply for an L-1A visa.

We have helped many foreign nationals conduct business in the United States, and we can help you too. Contact us at the phone number above for assistance from a licensed immigration lawyer.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.