Requirements and Procedures for Canadian Permanent Resident (PR) Card Application

Vancouver is one of the most beautiful and best places to live. No wonder, thousands of immigrants try their luck to be able to acquire permanent residence in Canada. So how does one acquire the coveted permanent resident card that will guarantee permanent residence in the maple leaf country? Here are some tips designed to facilitate and ease your application and its processing.

For an applicant to be able to live permanently in Canada, a permanent resident card is required. It is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada. The PR Card is a document required by permanent residents, including children, who are planning on travelling outside of Canada and then return to Canada by any commercial transporter such as plane, train, boat or bus.

This application is for permanent residents within Canada who would like to apply for: a) initial or first PR card; b) renewal of a PR card that has or will soon expire, and: c) replacement of a PR card that has been lost, stolen or damaged.


To be eligible for a PR Card, an applicant must:

  • Be a permanent resident of Canada
  • Be physically present in Canada
  • Not be under an effective removal order
  • Not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act and
  • Not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR card.

In the event of an error in your name in your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence or other permanent residence document, the applicant must submit a Request to Amend the Immigration Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence before you apply for  a PR card.

The Application Process:

  1. Obtain an Application for a Permanent resident Card from the CIC website.

  2. Gather all documents, pay the fees through a financial institution or through the internet, fill out the application forms and mail the complete application to the Case Processing Center.

What are the needed documents?

  • For renewal, your PR card. Until you received your new card, you must hold on to your present card or damaged card. Once you are asked to present yourself at a local CIC office, you must bring with you the previous card and the original documents of the copies which you have included with your application. You will be asked to destroy your previous card once you receive the new one.

  • One primary Identity document

A copy of one of the following documents:

  • Valid passport or travel document

  • The passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident (including your passport’s page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became permanent resident)

  • Certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada or a foreign country

  • Two secondary identity documents

A copy of two of the following documents:

  • Your Record of landing or Confirmation of Permanent residence

  • Your valid provincial driver’s license, provincial photo-identity card

  • Your university college student card

  • Additional documents of proof of residence in Canada in the past five years. You must include all pages of all passports you held in the past five years and a copy of one of the following:

  • Income tax assessment issued by Canada revenue Agency for two years within the past five years

  • University transcript received in the past five years or

  • School records in the past five years (for all school-aged children)

  1. The Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will check your application. If YES: application is processed and approved if you meet all the requirements. If NO: your application is returned to you.

  2. The appropriate CIC receives the PR card from the production facility.

  3. The CIC sends your card by mail.

To properly process your application, you should seek the assistance of a licensed immigration attorney who can effectively meet your immigration needs. Without the aid of a licensed professional, you may be at risk of incurring delays or receiving unfavorable decision.

Niren & Associates, a top Immigration Law firm, can provide you with professional assistance on your immigration concerns. Niren & Associates have a dedicated team of immigration lawyers in Vancouver, and maintain 22 other immigration offices in several key cities in the United States and in Canada.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.