How can I keep track of my residency days as a permanent resident in Vancouver for 2012?

One of the requirements for maintaining your permanent resident status in Canada is to meet the residency requirement. The residency obligation means that you must be physically present in Canada for a certain amount of time.  residency obligation

The residency obligation for permanent residency status

The residency obligation for permanent residency status in Canada is that you are in Canada for two years out of every five. This means that you must prove you are in Canada for 730 days of every five year period, and not be outside of Canada for more than 1095 days during every five year period. If you have not been able to meet the residency obligation, you should consult with a licensed immigration lawyer in order to make humanitarian and compassionate arguments on your behalf. We may be able to help you, contact us using the form on the right.

Keeping track of your Canadian residency days

Many permanent residents have a system for tracking their days outside of Canada. You could use a calendar or a spreadsheet – whichever option works the best for you and is easiest to use. Remember that whatever you use, you will need to make it easy for both yourself and immigration officials. You can use travel receipts, utility bills and employment information such as pay stubs and schedules to prove to immigration officials that you have met the residency obligation for permanent resident status in Canada.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can also check the App Store for mobile applications that help you keep track of your residency days, including one that counts down the residency days until you are eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship. Technology at its best!

If you need help with your permanent residency application or haven’t met the permanent residency obligation, contact us using the phone number above or using the email form on the right. We’d be happy to help!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.