My PR Card Expired Outside of Canada

A PR Card, also known as a permanent residence card, is an immigration status document that expires every five years. Most permanent residents in Canada are provided with a permanent residence card upon landing in Canada, and the permanent residence card acts as a document that proves one’s status as a permanent resident in Canada as well as allows them to leave and re-enter the country freely. 

However, as mentioned, the permanent resident card does expire every five years and because the card allows free travel in and out of Canada, there is always the potential that your permanent resident card could expire while you are outside of Canada.

If a permanent resident card expires while inside of Canada or is going to expire soon while you are still within Canada, you can apply to renew it in person and the process is somewhat easier. But if you’re outside of Canada, you have no valid travel document (your permanent resident card) to return to Canada to renew your permanent resident card.

How do I deal with an expired PR Card outside of Canada?

If your permanent residence card has expired while you were outside of Canada, there are a couple things to consider:

1. You will need to ensure that you have met the residency obligation for permanent residency in Canada before you start the process. The residency obligation for permanent residents in Canada is to be physically present in Canada for two years out of every five years. You will also need to be able to prove that you have been physically present in Canada during this time.

2. You will need to visit the nearest Canadian consulate or Canadian embassy and obtain a travel document. With a travel document, you can return to Canada and renew your permanent resident card normally. However, you will need to prove to the Canadian officials that you qualify to renew your permanent resident card and have met the residency requirements.

Did your PR card expire while you were outside of Canada? Don’t panic! We can help, even if you have not met the residency requirement for permanent resident status. Contact us using the form on the right for help.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.