I have an expired PR card

Your permanent resident card identifies you as a permanent resident of Canada. It is only valid for a time period of five years, and once it expires you must renew it.

It is very important to always have a valid permanent resident card. Not only does it indicate that you have a legal permanent status in Canada, but it is a travel document that allows you to re-enter Canada after you’ve been traveling abroad.

We recommend applying to renew your permanent resident card approximately three months before it is set to expire because the government of Canada needs time to process it. As of October 10th in 2012, the current wait time for the processing of renewed and initial permanent resident cards is 87 days.

How to renew your PR card

When you apply to renew your permanent resident card, you must:

1. Make an application for a new PR card using IMM5444, Application for a Permanent Resident Card. Ensure that your form is clear and legible, and that you have not missed any section of the application.

2. Be sure to include the Supplementary Identification form with your application.

3. Pay the fee for your permanent resident card renewal and include the receipt with your application.

4. Ensure that all of your supporting documentation is included in your application, some of which may include photocopies of your identifying documents and any documents that support your proof of meeting the residency obligation.

5. Have an immigration professional such as a licensed immigration lawyer review your application to renew your permanent resident card. Remember, a small mistake or forgetting to include something can result in your application being denied. Avoid being denied for an error and contact us before submitting your application for a review.

Are you concerned about having your permanent residency card renewal application denied? Were you not able to meet the permanent residency obligation for a legitimate reason, such as having to take care of a sick relative abroad? Were you working abroad for a Canadian company or accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse abroad? We can help you! Contact us for help with renewing your permanent resident card.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.